Terms and conditions
The following terms and conditions apply to the emergencySMS service (The Service):
- You must register your mobile phone number before you can use The Service. SMS messages from unregistered phone numbers will be replied to with details of how to register. The message will not be passed on to the emergency services and no further action will be taken.
- The Service uses the standard SMS system provided by the mobile communication providers which does not guarantee delivery of SMS messages. Until you get a reply to your emergency message you should try to use other ways to contact the emergency services such as using a textphone to dial 18000 or asking a neighbour, friend or passer-by to dial 999.
- The Service is limited to mobile phones connected to UK mobile networks that support The Service. An SMS message sent from outside the UK may not be delivered to The Service, and if delivered the message will be rejected.
- The Service is not designed to replace the 999 or 18000 services, if you can use either of these services then you should use them in an emergency situation.
- This service is primarily provided for people who are deaf, hard of hearing or speech impaired.
- SMS messages to The Service are free, however your phone might need to be in credit. Please check with your mobile communications provider to confirm this.
- You will need to register for The Service again if you change your mobile phone number. If you change your mobile communications provider please register again even if you do not change your phone number.
- Messages sent to The Service will be given the same priority as 999 emergency calls. As with the standard 999 emergency calls if you misuse The Service action may be taken against you, this will include, but not be limited to, your mobile number being barred from The Service.
- In order to take part in this trial you agree to provide feedback about The Service, any problems you have when using The Service, and for the message details to be used to improve The Service and the training the call handlers.
BSL Video – Terms and conditions(3min 2sec)
Please note: There is no sound on this video